The Christmas countdown is only a month away and if you're hankering after one of these, a word of advice - buy soon because a lot of these are going to be sold imminently!
The beauty calendar world just seems to get bigger and bigger every Christmas. I’ve already decided which I’m going to treat myself to this year but in case you haven’t here is a comprehensive rundown of which brands have jumped on the beauty advent calendars 2016 bandwagon! The Christmas countdown is only a month away and if you’re hankering after one of these, a word of advice – buy soon because a lot of these are going to be sold imminently!
All these calendars contain a selection of different products and brands, so if you like variety, these could be for you.
1. Selfridges | 2. ASOS | 3. M&S | 4. Boots | 5. Look Fantastic | 6. You Beauty
1. Selfridges Electic Little Luxuries Advent Calendar – This has a fantastic selection of cult products including YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer, Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate and Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion. There’s a lot of Lancome products in this one so if you’re a fan this could be you. It is on the pricier side at £95.
2. ASOS The Beauty Calendar – This is ASOS’s first take on the beauty advent calendar and I have to say, I’m impressed! They have a few more unique brands which haven’t been repeated over and over again in other calendars (Lancome I’m looking at you!). Brands include Batiste, Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream, Burt Bees and Yes to. A good middle of the road option at £50.
3. Marks & Spencer Countdown to Beauty Christmas Advent Calendar – M&S sell their advent calendars differently to everyone else. In order to be able to purchase one, you have to spend £35 in-store which can be on food, clothes or home (excluding furniture). The calendar itself is priced at a very reasonable £35. Highlights include Rosie for Autograph (oooh that rose gold packaging!!), Alpha H and Emma Hardy.
4. Boots Luxury Beauty “Your Beauty Fairytale Come True” Advent Calendar 2016 – The Boot’s calendar shares a number of exactly the same products as the Selfridges one mentioned above. If I was to pick between the two, it’d be the Selfridges one as it has a couple of better brands (the Boots version only features 4 different brands) but the Boots one does comes in at £85 which is £10 less than Selfridges.
5. Look Fantastic The Beauty Secret Volume 2 – Currently on pre-order until the 1st November, after which this will be a sell out if the past years are anything to go by, so I advise getting in quickly if you want one. Look Fantastic has become known for blowing their competition out the water, particularly for the number of full sized products. Out of all the mixed brand advent beauty calendars 2016 this is the one I’m tempted by. It is priced at £70.
6. You Beauty Advent Calendar – The You Beauty Advent calendar has some real standout products such as a White Company candle, Oskia Renaissance Mask and Omorovicza Refining Facial Polish. However, there are also some quite weak products which have obviously been added just to fill the space. I’m less impressed by the Rimmel nail polish and Carmex lip balm for example. Priced at £69.95, but you can use code GET10AC for £10 off, making this a very competitive offering
12 Days of Christmas
In case 24/25 days are too many (I’m not sure how that’s possible!) you can go for an advent with 12 windows. These are what is on offer this year.
1. Benefit | 2. Charlotte Tilbury | 3. Feel Unique | 4. Liz Earle | 5. Tanya Burr | 6. Nuxe | 7. Rodial
1. Benefit Girl O’Clock Rock – The Benefit Advent is a sell out every year, so if you want one, I would act fast! This year it has shrunk down to 12 days which means you’ll be getting all their very best sellers. I’m very happy to see POREfessional included in the mix. It is £34.50.
2. Charlotte Tilbury World of Legendary Parties Advent Calendar – I discussed this at length in the over £95 category below so you can check there for my honest opinion on this advent.
3. Feel Unique Magic of Beauty Calendar – The online beauty sites are reigning in the beauty advent calendars 2016 stakes. Much like the Look Fantastic version discussed above, this has some amazing brands and products. I personally think it’s worth it for the Laura Geller illuminator alone. For me, this is the best of the 12-day calendars. It costs £30.
4. Liz Earle Botanist Cabinet – This only has 8 windows but behind every single window is an amazing product including everyone’s favourite, the Cleanse & Polish in a huge 150ml size. At £35 this is definitely on my must have list. It’s available from Boots from November and I imagine this will be a sell-out, so act fast!
5. Tanya Burr 12 Days of Christmas – I feel like Tanya Burr Cosmetics is aimed at a younger audience, so if you have a little sister or niece this would be a gift that’d make their month! It’s filled with sparkly nail polishes, sticky lipglosses and glitter liner. It’s on sale for £24.99.
6. Nuxe Beauty Countdown – I’m quite a fan of skincare line Nuxe and this very pretty illustrated advent calendar is very in keeping with their French heritage. If you don’t know the brand that well, this is a perfect introduction. Priced at £49.
7. Rodial 12 Days of Magic Calendar– I know a lot of people that swear by Rodial products but I don’t think I’ve ever tried one. This includes several products from its cult Dragon Blood line which has a huge celeb fan base. It is on the pricier end at £100.
£95 & Over
If you’re in the mood to treat yourselves, these are the ultimate in beauty advent calendars 2016.
1. Liberty London | 2. Estee Lauder | 3. Diptyque | 4. Molton Brown | 5. Jo Malone | 6. Charlotte Tilbury | 7. Kiehl’s | 8. Vintage Cosmetics Company | 9. Selfridges | 10. Clarins & ClarinsMen
1. Liberty London Liberty Print Beauty Advent Calendar 2016 – There’s something about London department store, Liberty London, during Christmas. It’s such a special and magical place. If you’re in London during the festive period I highly recommend visiting. That being said, it is hardly surprising Liberty are renowned for their luxury beauty advents. The Diptyque candle you get on day 25 says it all (SWOON!). It is £165.
2. Estee Lauder Holiday Countdown Advent Calendar 24 Luxe Beauty Surprises – Personally I think you have to absolutely LOVE Estee Lauder to splash out on this. It does include samples of their cult products, plus a couple of brand new products such as their new lipgloss. However, at £205 for 24 days this is an awful lot of money.
3. Diptyque Advent Calendar 2016 – For me, Diptyque is the ultimate and if I was to splurge on an advent, this is the one I want. Just think of all the candles (there are 16 in total) plus a few perfumes and bath oils!! It costs £250.
4. Molton Brown Scented Luxuries Advent Calendar – Molton Brown’s calendar has a really good mix of products, you can expect a little bit of everything (body wash, hand cream, candles, body wash, exfoliator, shampoo, conditioner, hand wash, etc.) so if you’re a Molton Brown fan or keen to try as much of the range as possible you’ll like this a lot. It is a hefty £150.
5. Jo Malone Advent Calendar – The gorgeous Jo Malone Advent Calendar comes in a close second to the Diptyque one. Just the calendar itself is so elegant and beautiful to look at. Behind every drawer is either a cologne, hand cream, shower gel or body cream. It is the most expensive of all at £280 (gulp!).
6. Charlotte Tilbury World of Legendary Advent Calendar – This is the only £95+ advent calendar which only has 12 days. I absolutely LOVE Charlotte Tilbury, her products are second to none but with this, I struggle to justify the cost given how few days you get. If there was one full sized product in there, I’d understand a bit more but for just sample sized products, personally it’s just too expensive at £150.
7. Kiehl’s Advent Calendar – Exclusive to Selfridges if you’re a Kiehl’s fanatic this is an absolute must for you. You can expect some of their favourites such as Ultra Facial Cleanser, Ultra Facial Cream and Cilantro & Orange Pollutant Defending Masque. Priced at a reasonable (compared to others) £95.
8. Vintage Cosmetics Company Calendar – When I saw the price of this my jaw dropped. I always thought of Vintage Cosmetics Company as a fairly reasonably priced brand. If you’re in the market for new high-quality beauty tools, then this could be perfect for you but you’ll be forking out £99 for nail files, some pedicure toe separators and shower cap.
There is a slightly cheaper 12 day option available, called 12 Days to a Beautiful Christmas, which comes in at £65 with a value of over £90.
9. Selfridges Eclectic Little Luxuries Advent Calendar 2016 – This also appeared in the mixed brand calendars above, so you can read all about it there.
10. Clarins Advent Calendar & ClarinsMen 12 Days of Christmas – If you’re a skincare fan, this is the calendar for you! This advent features highlights from the entire Clarins line (there’s also a few body products thrown in there too). Plus, I love that they’ve brought out a men’s edition too, as why should us girls have all the fun?! The women’s version is priced at £95 and the men’s at £65 (which only has 12 days).
Single Brands Part 1
There is a huge array of brands that have brought out their versions of the beauty advent calendars 2016. Be sure to check out if your favourite brand is in the mix.
1. Clinique | 2. Mad Beauty | 3. Mad Beauty | 4. Rituals | 5. L’Occitane | 6. Bomb Cosmetics | 7. Makeup Revolution | 8. Decelor | 9. Dr Hauschka | 10. Cheeky Nails
1. Clinique 24 Days of Clinique Advent Calendar – You can expect a varied mix of skincare, makeup and fragrance from Clinique’s beauty advent this year (there’s even one Clinique Men’s product thrown in). Despite not being Clinique’s biggest fan I still find this one rather tempting. It is priced at £65.
Debenhams has an exclusive “7 Days of Clinique” mini advent calendar for £28 if you’re tempted by the beauty calendar phenomena but not 100% sold on the idea, this could be the perfect place to start (warning it’s a slippery slope from here though!).
2. Mad Beauty Bright Lights Advent Calendars – Mad has two offerings this year. The first is a full 24 days and offers a wide range of their makeup from eyeliners to blushers and nail polishes plus a selection of tools and makeup brushes. This is a great tween/teen option and it’s one of the most affordable at £19.99
3. Mad Beauty 12 Days of Advent Calendar – This is small 12 day option and is more body orientated with body wash, body cream and a shower puff. It’s priced at £10.99.
4. The Ritual of Advent – I’m a big Rituals fan and this one is top of my list. It has a bit of everything and covers all their amazing scents. Plus the calendar itself is huge and I always say with beauty advents the bigger the better! It is on sale for £49.50.
5. L’Occitane Advent Calendar – If you’re a L’Occitane fan you’re going to love this calendar with an illustration by renowned illustrator Kanako which captures the festive atmosphere of the L’Occitane gift workshop. It is full to the brim with lots of lovely minis of their most popular products. The contents is worth over £80 but priced at £42.
6. Bomb Cosmetics Bomb Advent Calendar Gift Pack – If you’re not a makeup or skincare girl (or boy) this will be a refreshing and different option. Bomb Cosmetics has two options, one with all bath bombs and the other with 12 bath bombs and 12 soap slices. Both are priced at £19.99.
7. Makeup Revolution Advent Calendar – This has a fabulous mix of makeup products, including their much-loved eyeshadow palettes. If you like their lipsticks you’ll be happy to know there are 6 hidden behind the windows. It’s currently on sale at Superdrug, down to £30 from £40.
8. Decleor Christmas 2016 – It doesn’t get much more glamorous than this, just look at all that gold. It has a full 25 days including 2 full sized products, 19 face products and 2 body solutions. It’s selling out very fast so snap it up soon. It costs £60.
9. Dr Hauschka Christmas Advent Calendar – Behind the windows of this advent is a carefully selected collection of Dr Hauschka Body and Skin Care products, which makes the perfect treat to experience well-being and calmness during the busy festive season. The Advent Calendar contains 23 trial sizes and one special surprise for Christmas Eve. Priced at £75.
10. Cheeky Advent Calendar – Cheeky nails is Cowshed’s younger sister line. If you love your nail polish you’ll love this as it has 24 5ml nail polishes, all with an extra wide brush for easy application. It’s on sale for £50.
Single Brands Part 2
As there are just so many to get through there is also a part 2 for the single brand beauty advent calendars 2016.
1. Cowshed | 2. Ciate | 3. Bodyshop | 4. BareMinerals | 5. House of Fraser | 6. No. 7 | 7. Jack Wills | 8. NYX Cosmetics | 9. Sanctuary Spa
1. Cowshed Advent Calendar – In my (humble) opinion I think this is the most sophisticated beauty advent calendar this year. It’s the perfect option for mummies or grandmothers. Even though the products are sample sizes, some of them are pretty generous which you should be able to get plenty of use out of. It is priced at £85.
2. Ciate Mini Month 2016 – If you’re a nail polish addict this is for you, as this has every colour and nail necessity you could ever need! On day 24 you get a full sized sparkly bottle which is perfect festive shade. This one costs £50.
3. Bodyshop 24 Days of Cheeky Surprises – The Bodyshop has three different advent options available to suit all price ranges which I really like. The content for the lower and mid-tier has a selection from their mainline, such as their body butters, soaps and shower gels, whereas the pricier option is full to the brim with their more luxurious products, i.e. the Himalayan line. Prices are between £60-£90.
4. BareMinerals Countdown to Gorgeous Advent Calendar – Personally I’ve never quite got to grips with Bare Minerals, I’ve used a couple of their products and sadly not been blown away by them (you can read my thoughts on their Marvelous Moxie lip gloss HERE). However, if you’re a fan, you’re going to love this, as you’re getting a huge range of their makeup in this and I actually think it’s quite well priced, at £75 for the amount of products you’re getting.
5. House of Fraser Exclusive Advent Calendar 2016 – I wasn’t even aware that House of Fraser had their own makeup line called Colour Couture until I saw this advent calendar. It’s priced at a very reasonable £20 so if you want to have a beauty advent this year but don’t want to spend over the odds, this could definitely be worth a shot. If you break it down the products work out at £1.20 each… hello bargain!
6. No. 7 Bright Lights Big City Beauty Calendar – This calendar really has a bit of everything, there’s plenty of makeup but it also includes a selection brushes, some eyelash curlers and a match made blusher invite. It costs £39 but the content is worth over £150.
7. Jack Wills Advent Calendar – Although this isn’t very festive looking I love the look of this. I think the blue and white is gorgeous and definitely a keeper even after Christmas, it’d be very cute for keeping hair ties and little bits and pieces inside. I can’t tell you much about the products themselves as I’ve never tried them but at £35 it’s a Jack Wills fan’s dream!
8. NYX Professional Advent Calendar Wanderlust – This was one I was very excited to see. Although NYX isn’t my favourite drugstore brand because it’s still quite new to the UK the opportunity to try a number of their products makes this quite appealing. If you’re a fan of their soft matte lip creams this is one for you. It’s priced at £60.
9. Sanctuary The Let Go Day of Christmas Advent – Yet another advent which is great for mums. Christmas is all about getting a little time off and enjoying yourself and with a selection of Sanctuary Spa products you’ll be able to do just that. It’s the pampering box dreams are made of! In my book, this would be £25 well spent.