I've had to overcome numerous tricky obstacles but somehow or another I always made it through. This is what I've learned so far:
The reality of life is there are plenty of people in this world who are more successful than you but equally there are so many still striving to achieve what you have already, even though it sometimes may not feel like it. Staying motivated and soldiering on is the key to reaching those goals. I’ve had to overcome numerous tricky obstacles but somehow or another I always made it through. This is what I’ve learned so far:
- Compartmentalise – one reason it’s difficult to stay motivated is because often there’s so much happening at once, it’s the nature of life and it can become completely suffocating. If it’s all getting too much, take a step back and compartmentalise one task or problem from the next. Once it stops being a jumbled mess that drowning feeling will fade away and it’ll be far easier to tackle each task one by one. It’s amazing what you can achieve with a bit of clarity and organisation.
- Lists – writing lists is a great way of staying motivated. Seeing everything you need to do on one piece of paper can often provide that nudge to get going and nothing feels better than crossing them off once they’re completed.
- Relish the small moments – allow yourself to enjoy the little steps as well as the giant leaps. Rewards and treats are definitely warranted and deserved along the way, just remember to save the big celebration for the end.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself – If it takes longer then expected to reach your destination, it’s ok!! Don’t punish yourself, changes and bumps along the road are more inevitable than not. Determination and focus will get you there and the amount of time it took will simply fade away.
- Deal with moments of low motivation – There will be moments where you’ll feel discouraged and like you’re hitting a brick wall. At these times I look to people who’ve achieved amazing things and overcome more struggle then I could ever imagine. If they can do that, surely I can keep going! Another great tip is to talk to friends and family, the people who love you the most should be able to lift your spirits in an instance.